The Brown Grand Theatre is a community-based historical theatre dedicated to enhancing cultural life in North Central Kansas.
The first traveling troupes came to town on the Missouri pacific railroad in 1876 and stayed at the posh Baron's House Hotel south of the depot. These professionals, en-route from Denver, St. Louis, or Chicago performed for Concordians at LaRocque Hall built in 1877.
This multipurpose theatre and hall, a functional but unadorned and cramped facility still stands at the comer of Broadway and Sixth streets.
At the turn of the century, Concordians realized the need for a larger, safer, more modern facility to accommodate the fine traveling shows playing to burgeoning audiences. Fortunately, for the taxpayers and city officials, municipal funds would not be needed. A colorful businessman from the community by the name of Colonel Napoleon Bonaparte Brown had plans of his own.