Amelia Earhart's birthplace and childhood home, initially began in 1861. The wood-frame, Gothic Revival cottage is perched high on the west bank of the Missouri River. In 1873, Amelia's grandfather Judge Alfred Otis and grandmother Amelia Harres Otis added a brick Italianate addition to the rear of the home.
Amelia was born in the home on July 24, 1897 to Edwin Stanton Earhart and Amy Otis Earhart. Amelia's father was a lawyer whose position as a railroad claims agent required him to travel a great deal. Consequently both Amelia and her sister Muriel spent an abundance of their childhood with their grandparents in Atchison.
Despite living in many different cities, Amelia considered Atchison her hometown, having spent more of her life in the Otis home than anywhere else. The Amelia Earhart Birthplace represents the most tangible remaining link with the famous female aviator.
Judge Alfred Otis and Amelia Harres Otis lived in the home until 1912, when they both passed away. Two families occupied the home prior to 1956 when it was purchased by Paul and Winney Allingham. The Allinghams lived in the home until 1984 when they both died without children or plans for the home's disposition.
Shortly thereafter, Dr. Eugene J. Bribach of Atchison, contributed $100,000 to The Ninety-Nines, an International Organization of Women Pilots (to which Amelia not only belonged, but also served as their inaugural president) to assist with the purchase and maintenance of the home.
Annually, thousands of visitors tour the National Historic Site to learn about the life of one of the world's most influential female aviators. Since the Museum opened to the public, it has consistently proven to be a leading public attraction in the Atchison area.