The Frontier Army Museum tells the story of Fort Leavenworth from 1827 to 1917 and the history of the frontier Army from 1804, when Lewis and Clark passed by present day Leavenworth and Fort Leavenworth. The Frontier Army Museum collects and preserves artifacts that tell the story of the Frontier Army from 1804 to 1916, and Fort Leavenworth from 1827 to the present through the use of its collection of historical artifacts. The original collection began in 1939 when the wagon shop at Fort Leavenworth closed and the horse-drawn vehicles were relocated and called the "Old Rolling Wheels Museum." In 1960, the museum was officially recognized as an Army Museum and has continued to preserve one of the finest collections of nineteenth century military artifacts in the country.
The museum collection of over seven thousand items consists of weapons, uniforms equipment, and vehicles used by Frontier Army soldiers as well as many Fort Leavenworth related items. Two of the premier pieces are the 1832 General Officer Coat worn by General Henry Leavenworth and a Curtiss JN4D aircraft, of the type used by General Pershing during the "Punitive Expedition" into Mexico.